Dialectica is very proud to announce that we have awarded our essay prize 2014 (1000 GBP, on explanation in science and philosophy) to Marc Lange, for his paper "Explanation, Existence, and Natural Properties in Mathematics – A Case Study: Desargues' Theorem" which has been been published in 69(4) (Marc has also published "A Tale of Two Vectors" in dialectica 63(4)). Congratulations Marc!
Dialectica is a general analytic philosophy journal published by the world's leading publisher of philosophy journals, Blackwell-Wiley Publishing. Online content is available through Wiley Online Library. In recent years, dialectica has published articles by Paul Boghossian, John Divers, Iris Einheuser, Kit Fine, Wolfgang Künne, Fraser MacBride, Diego Marconi, Christopher Peacocke, François Récanati, Ralph Wedgwood, Timothy Williamson and Crispin Wright, as well as special issues on the philosophy of Kit Fine, Herbert Hochberg, Paolo Casalegno, vectors, justification, belief, concepts and Gödel's "dialectica" interpretation. It is edited in Switzerland, publishes predominantly systematic and theoretical philosophy and aims to become the best journal on the European Continent.
Since 2000, dialectica practices double-blind refereeing and blind editing. We have recently updated our submission statistics and would like to share the following information, of possible interest to the philosophical community:
- The acceptance rate over the last ten years is 8.36% (2320 submissions, of which 194 were accepted).
- In 2015, we published 21 articles. Of 294 articles submitted in 2015, 24 were accepted.
- Our turn-around time is reasonably quick (median of 3 months) and our backlog is small (currently accepted papers are published in 1/2017).
- Currently, about 12% of our submissions are authored by women.
- Between 2004 and 2015, 27% of our submissions came from people working in the US, 21% from the UK, 6% from Germany, 5% from Canada and Italy, 4% from Spain, and 3% from each of Australia, France, Sweden and Switzerland. 55% of our submissions come from Europe, 33% from North America, 7% from Asia (mostly Israel, Iran and Hong Kong), 4% from Australasia and 1% from South America and 0.5% from Africa.
Click here for the detailled submission statistics for 2000-2015.
In 2015, the 5 most downloaded articles were:
- D. Stokes, Cognitive Penetration and the Perception of Art (winner of the 2012 dialectica essay prize)
- J. Worrall, Structural Realism: The Best of Both Worlds?
- S. Varga, Identifications, Volitions and the Case of Successful Psychopaths
- C. Cieslinski, The Innocence of Truth
- D. Davidson, Radical Interpretation
Click here for a list of the 100 most downloaded dialectica articles in 2015.
Dialectica is ranked A on the European Research Index for the Humanities of the European Science Foundation and is also ranked A in the Australian's Research Council's ERA for 2010. Marc Lange, "A Tale of Two Vectors", dialectica 63:4, 397-431 has been elected one of the ten best papers of 2009 according by the Philosophers' Annual.
Dialectica practices double blind refereeing, as well as blind editing, and follows the "Guidelines for the Handling of Manuscripts by the Editors of Philosophy Journals" of the Association of Philosophy Journal Editors.
Authors are encouraged to submit short articles and discussion notes to the Notes and Discussions section, in particular (but not exclusively) of articles published by dialectica.
Dialectica publishes articles in English. In special cases, it assists in the translation of excellent articles written in other languages.
Dialectica also publishes book reviews, which are commissioned by the reviews editor. It does no longer publish special issues that are not edited by members of the Editorial Committee.
Dialectica has published articles by the following authors:
|A.J. Ayer||Y. Bar-Hillel||R. Barcan Marcus|
|M. Black||P. Bernays||N. Bohr|
|M. Born||L. de Broglie||R. Carnap|
|R.M. Chisholm||B. Curry||D. Davidson|
|J. Dieudonnﾃｩ||A. Einstein||J. McDowell|
|D. Føllesdal||M. Fréchet||H. Freudenthal|
|K. Gödel||W. Heisenberg||M. Hesse|
|J. Hintikka||C.G. Jung||L. Ladrièｨre|
|P. Lorenzen||W. Pauli||C. Perelman|
|J. Piaget||G. Polya||K. Popper|
|H. Putnam||W.V. Quine||H. Reichenbach|
|R. Rorty||R. Ruyer||J. Searle|
|D. Shapere||Th. Skolem||E. Stenius|
|R. Thom||J. Vuillemin||N. Wiener|
Dialectica is indexed in the following journals: Arts and Humanities Citation Index; Current Contents; Current Mathematical Publications; Dietrich's Index Philosophicus; Internationale Bibliographie der Rezensionen wissenschaftlicher Literatur; Internationale Bibliographie der Zeitschriftenliteratur aus allen Gebieten des Wissens; Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts; Mathematical Reviews; Periodicals Contents Index; Philosopher's Index; Risk Abstracts; Russian Academy of Sciences Bibliographies; Social Planning - Policy and Development Abstracts; Sociological Abstracts.
Dialectica is supported by the Swiss Academy of Humanities and Social Sciences.